Recipes from Home
Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
Servings: 6 - 8
• 1 lbs andouille sausage, bias cut
• 1 lbs boneless chicken thighs
• 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
• 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
• 1 medium green pepper, small dice
• 1 medium red pepper, small dice
• 2 stalks celery, small dice
• 1 tsp minced garlic clove
• 1 Tbsp tomato paste
• 1 tbsp Chef Travis Cajun Spice
• 4 cups chicken stock
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 cups (dry) parboiled rice
• 1⁄4 cup green onions (bias cut)
• Tabasco, dash
Chef Travis Cajun Blend
- 1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. red pepper
- 2 Tbsp. paprika, smoked
- 2 Tbsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 4 Tbsp. dark chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. granulated onion
1. Heat large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven (5qt) over medium to high heat. Add vegetable oil. Once the oil
moves freely around the skillet, add bias-cut andouille sausage and sear until both sides are golden brown.
Remove and set aside.
2. Add boneless chicken thighs into the skillet and cook until internal temperature of 165 degrees. Remove
thighs, pull chicken and set aside to add back to recipe.
3. Add 1⁄2 cup of the chicken stock to de-glaze the skillet, cook until the stock has reduced by half. Layer in
onions, celery, green peppers and minced garlic. Sauté using medium to high heat until peppers are tender,
and onions are translucent in color. This will take between 5-7 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook for an
additional 3-5 minutes. Cooking the tomato paste will reduce the acidity and help bring a richer color to the
Chef’s Tip: Adding the tomato paste will stop the cooking of the onions & peppers
4. Add the chicken thigh and andouille sausage back into the skillet. Add the Cajun Spice and continue to
cook until spice is fully incorporated.
5. Add the remainder of the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add rice, butter & bay leaf; stir until the rice is
fully mixed. Bring the dish back to a boil, then turn heat to low, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until
Chef’s Tip: Once you cover the dish, leave it covered for the 30-40 minutes and allow the dish to finish. Rice to Chicken Stock
Ratio: 1 cup rice to 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
6. Remove lid, serve in a shallow bowl or plate. Add fresh aromatics, green onions for garnish and finishing
Serve with Your accompaniments. I add Tabasco to my dish at home. This dish is best served with French Bread or Cornbread muffins.
Once you’ve covered the dish for the final steps, do not open the dish for 35-45 minutes.
Louisiana Sweet Potato Hash
Servings: 6 - 8
• 4 cups local sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (1/4 inch cubes)
• 1⁄2 cup sweet onions, (1/4 inch dice)
• 1⁄4 cup green bell peppers (1/4 inch dice)
• 1⁄4 cup red bell peppers (1/4 inch dice)
• 2 oz hardwood smoked bacon
• 1⁄2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
• 2 cup Andouille Sausage, (1/4 inch dice)
• 2 tbsp unsalted butter
• 1 tbsp canola oil
• 1⁄4 cup green onions (cut on bias)
• TT Kosher Salt
• TT Table grind pepper
1. Bring stock pot of water to a boil, add sweet potatoes, and cook on medium to high heat
until they are al dente. Drain using a colander, place the sweet potatoes on a sheet tray and
into the refrigerator to ensure they cool quickly.
2. Using a 12” skillet and medium heat, warm skillet. Add oil, oil should move around the pan
3. Add bacon, cook until crisp, remove and set aside.
4. Add Andouille sausage and cook until golden brown, 1-2 minutes on medium heat.
5. Layer in your onions, garlic & peppers and cook until tender and onions begin to look
translucent. Cook for 3-5 minutes or to desired consistency.
6. Add blanched sweet potatoes back to the skillet and place on low heat.
7. Allow all the ingredients to fully incorporate for 5-7 minutes.
8. Once the potatoes are tender, remove from heat and serve (you could also finish in the oven)
9. Add the crisp smoked bacon & green onion as garnish to finish great southern dish!
10. Finish with a little Tabasco!
This is great for Breakfast or as a side for lunch or dinner! I make this for the holidays in
my family! Using a cast iron skillet, gives you an option to finish this dish in the oven!
Warm Apple Strudel with Vanilla Bourbon Sauce
Servings: 6 – 8
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 oz chopped walnuts
- Melt butter in skillet, low heat. Add walnuts and allow to sweat for 1-2 minutes on low. Toss and move walnuts around while sweating. Set aside.
Spiced Apple Filling
- 8 oz premium apple filling
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ cup warm water
- Heat medium cast iron skillet on med/low heat. Add apple filling, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add water and reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
White Chocolate Caramel Orange Vanilla Sauce: Yields 2 cups
- ½ lb unsalted butter
- ½ lb light brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp Pecan Whiskey or bourbon of choice
- 1 oz white baking chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ orange
- In a medium saucepan, melt unsalted butter on medium/low heat.
- Add brown sugar, whisk together. Add vanilla and bourbon, bring to boil. Allow to boil for 1 minute while briskly whisking.
- Slowly add heavy cream, continue to whisk. This will help cool the sauce.
- On low heat, add 1 oz white baking chocolate chips, whisk until chocolate is fully melted
- Add ½ an orange, allow orange to steep for 20 minutes.
Chef’s Tip: add the heavy cream slowly while whisking. Caramel will bubble up and be very hot!
- 1 puff pastry sheet (Pepperidge Farms, grocery freezer)
- 2 oz pound cake, cut into ½” by ½” cubes
- 8 oz apple pie filling (prepared earlier)
- 1 oz chopped walnuts (prepared earlier)
- 1 oz craisins
- 1 medium egg
- ½ tsp white sugar
- Spray pan or use pan liner
- Place puff pastry sheet down on clean surface. Make 11 even cuts on each side (see picture above) Puff pastry should have three equal sections, one on the left and right with the cuts and the middle left for the filling.
- Add pound cake to the middle of the pastry sheet.
- Add spiced apple filling.
- Add craisin.
- Add chopped walnuts.
- Begin Braiding dough.
- Brush top and sides of the strudel with egg wash & dust with white sugar.
- Spray or line a cookie sheet, place strudel on pan.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool.
- Slice, ladle white chocolate caramel orange vanilla bourbon sauce and enjoy!
Chef’s Tip: Serve with your favorite ice cream.